Sunday, May 24, 2009

Abigail - Part II

Abigail -

The elevator was being stupid, again. The stupid thing was never working when I tried to use it. It was a constant battle of the wills for me, most days I didn’t even try, simply took the stairs, but some days I had a hope it’d work for me, today wasn’t one of those days and somehow I doubted tomorrow would be one either. I wasn’t in the best mood when I came downstairs. I’d passed out again for who knows how long – three days, sixteen hours, twenty minutes and forty six seconds – and woke to find my answer machine over flowed with messages. And when I went searching for food I found my fridge bare save molded bread, mayo and Chinese food that I couldn’t even recall ordering.

This was not how I planned to spend my leave – my forced leave mind you. My stomach's rumbling is what led me to come downstairs. It was on a whim that I ended up checking my mail. I never got much mail but I’d been “away” for a long time.
Sighing I made my way down the final few steps pushing the old door open. Stepping into the lobby I looked around, the coast was clear. I hardly ever saw anyone else who lived in the building minus the landlady who came to collect rent every once and a while. Sometimes I wondered how she got the rent money when I was “away” but I didn’t ever remember leaving it for her.

Shuffling into the lobby I made my way to the bank of mailboxes. Digging the key out I jammed the key in the slot, twisted and pulled. My box was filled. Frowning at the level of mail I pulled it out. Flipping through it I found most of it to be junk catalogs, spam and a few letters from my employer. I stuck the junk back in and flipped though the letters from my employer sorting them out by postmarks. Three months of mail was not a pleasant thing. It was a wonder I wasn’t fired.

As I was sorting through mail the lobby doors jingled signaling someone coming in. Looking up to see who it was I was greeted by the sight of a vaguely attractive Asian boy walking in. I used the term boy because something about him screamed kid. He was a little taller than average, dark shaggy hair – the kind that makes me wish I had a comb to run through it -- and about average build. I gave him a quick once over then turned back to my mail. I wasn’t in a place in my life to be looking for any new kind of relationship. I mean how could I explain I was going to be “away” and didn’t know how long I’d be gone for, it wouldn’t be fair in any way.
Even if I was looking directly at him I felt him come up close to me and had to stop myself from backing away. It had been a long time since I’d been within touching distance of another person. However before I could move I saw him give a quick once over. The kind that teenage boys give girls they’re interested in but not really.

"You look like shit," where the first words out his mouth to me. I barely hid the flinch and glared at it him.

"You're an ass," I informed him, like I needed some uppity brat telling me I looked like shit, I knew exactly what I looked like.

"Yeah, well that's not new," he said to me smiling like it was funny oh how I longed to punch him.

"What the fuck do you want? Who the fuck are you?" I snapped before I could stop myself.

Today was really a crappy day, first the missing time, then the elevator, now the brat in front of me – and to think I thought he was cute at first, and now my temper was getting away from me.

The kid smirks and me and I list reasons not to punch him. "Well, according to my mailbox, and your mailbox, you live above me."

I glare because that tells me nothing. I don’t know any one in the building and have made no effort to find out who they are.
"And that tells me what exactly?"

“Isn't that a bit obvious?” He pauses like I’m supposed to know what goes on in his head,

“ That, we’re neighbors?” What I assume is supposed to be a statement comes out as a question which only makes me glare harder. Looking at the stack of main in my hands I wonder why the fuck did I decide now of all times to come get my mail.

“And that thud last week woke me up?" I look up at him again, that sounded vaguely concerned which had I been in a better mood would have been endearing only I wasn’t in a better mood and it only caused me to be more pissed off. The only thing that had come out of this conversation that was useful was now I had a time stamp for my black out. It was Monday.

"That’s nice, and your point?" I say tapping my foot impatiently. With my shoulder I nudge the mail box door closed.

"Well, being that we are neighbors, and whatever caused the thud that woke me up hours before I had to be at work is probably connected to the reason why you look like shit, and so I am inclined to ask if you are okay. Okay?”

Yup, he definitely could be endearing if I was in a better mood. I count up to the 20th digit of pi to keep from being rude but my definition of rude and others is slightly different.

"Do I look...no, no I'm not okay, I haven’t been okay for a very long time."

I wasn't looking at him, but I could feel the frown on his face as if he is waiting for me to say more but I don’t.

"Oh. Okay then," he says finally when he realizes I’m not going to say anything else.

I mean, I was trying to be nice, but I'm no miracle worker.

"Well, I'm gonna go now,” he says and turns and starts to walk away.

I call after him, “Have a nice day, bratty kid, you never did say what your name was.”

“Kiki”.

“Kiki, really now?” He stops and looks at me when I say that.

"Really." Now I'm grinning.

"Childhood must have been hell."

"No, it was fine. Everyone knows all Asians know karate," he replied nonchalantly.

I laugh "Ah yes, conform to the stereotypes, especially when it keeps the bullies away.”

“You have a good day...Abigail,” he laughs as he walks away.

"How the fucking hell...” I ask confused and on the verge of being pissy again.

"Read your mail. You should pay attention more,” he calls over his shoulder as he strolls away.

I humph at him glaring as he walked away. And as if some god was laughing at me when he pressed for the elevator the door pinged and opened.

2 comments: